UA-32896419-1

• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo
Forum Feature

SIMULATION

Forum Feature

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elias

elias

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Solid Edge version being used:ST4
  • Solid Edge Maintenenace Pack:MP1

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hello, i would like to know how to check the balance of a assembley or part
using simulation in the solid edge. For example a wheel
needs to be balanced with g 6.3 to 8000 rpm

Thanks

In the attach file there is a exemple a tool that

i would like check the balance. 

Thanks

#2 Community Administrator

Community Administrator

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 419 posts
  • Solid Edge version being used:ST5
  • Solid Edge Maintenenace Pack:MP1
  • Video Card Brand:NVidia
  • Video Card Model:FX880m
  • Video Card Memory:500 meg

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:04 AM

Hummm interesting question, can you share some design.

The question I see for a wheel is how can we create a unbalance wheel inside SE that will be an exact copy of the manufacturing one.

Here i do no talk about the shape, has we can be very accrurate, but more about the density, how the weight is being distribute in the body of the wheel? How can we replicate the exact cut made by the CNC? if the wheel is compose of multiple parts how can we make sure we assemble the same as in the manufacture?

We need all of this ( at the minimum) to be able to do dynamic analysys.

#3 Rick Mason

Rick Mason

Edgosaurus Wrinklii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • Solid Edge version being used:ST6 (beta)
  • Solid Edge Maintenenace Pack:MP2
  • Video Card Brand:nVidia
  • Video Card Model:Quadro 2000
  • Video Card Memory:1024MB
  • PC Brand:Hybrid
  • PC model:Hybrid
  • System CPU:i5-3570K 3.4GHz
  • System Memory:16GB DDR3

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

For a simple rotating wheel (ie a single part), it is generally sufficient to 'tweak' the shape until the Centre of Mass falls precisely on the axis of rotation. Where mechanisms are concerned, it gets a LOT more complex (eg where reciprocating cranks etc. are involved). I have successfully balanced several assemblies by trial & error, progressively rotating the components and tracking the centre of mass then adjusting individual components for balance, but these were not high-speed machines. For 'fine tuning', allow for balance pads which can easily be ground or drilled away during final dynamic balancing. If you are attempting to balance complex high-speed mechanisms (eg a flat-4 engine with counterbalance shafts) you will need something much more powerful than Solid Edge! RickSTer
R.H. (Rick) Mason
MASCO Design Services Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia

#4 John J Bazaar

John J Bazaar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Solid Edge version being used:ST4
  • Solid Edge Maintenenace Pack:MP7

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

Judging from the wording of your question, you are trying to determine how to dynamically balance the mechanism to 6.3 grams force at 8000 rpm.

I don't believe Solid Edge Simulation will do that for you.

what you can do is determine the location of the center of mass of the rotating components with regard to the axis of rotation as Rick described.

once you know that and the mass of the rotating components, you can calculate the dynamic (shaking) force of the system by hand or by entering the equations into a spreadsheet.

The equations for those calculations are not very complicated and are published in Machinery's Handbook along with free body diagrams and an explanation of how to use the equations.

not a single button click, but not too hard to do. just too much explanation to publish here.

If you are a designer or design engineer in the U.S., you should have a copy of that handbook. if you don't have one, get one. it will be the best spent $100.00 or so you will ever spend.

John J. Bazaar
jjbazaar@roadrunner.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forum Feature